Don’t be fooled by how it looks, this Onigiri Bento Box recipe from Chef Kenny and Chef Eric at Sessions Cooking Studio is easy to make, and can even be done with the little ones! The result is a very colourful, pretty lunch box filled with delicious morsels.
- 1 egg sheet
- 1 hotdog
- 140g sushi rice
- 1 teaspoon sakura denbu (pink fish flake)
- 1 piece of square cheese
- 2 pieces inari (sweet beancurd skins)
- 1 piece nori (seaweed)
- 80g sweet corn
- 10g tobiko (flying fish roe)
- 1 boiled whole egg
- 30g Japanese mayonnaise
- 2 strawberries
- Lettuce for garnish
- Cut the hotdog in half and make a small right angled cut on one end of the hotdog.
- Boil the hotdog in a pot until the cut end opens up, drain and set aside.
- Fold the egg sheet in half. On the folded end, make a series of parallel cuts using a knife.
- Roll the egg sheet tightly around the hotdog.
- Combine both the sweet corn and Japanese mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Season with a pinch of salt.
- Mould a handful of rice into an oval shape.
- To make the nose, cut the cheese with a straw.
- For the ears, use the knife and cut two small ovals.
- Decorate the eyes using a seaweed puncher.
- Stuff each inari with 20g of sushi rice.
- Top the first inari with tobiko and the second one with egg mayonnaise.
Get creative and assemble your creations in a bento box!