Have your budding chef join you in the kitchen to make this healthy, hearty, brightly coloured meal with this recipe for a caterpillar sandwich from Chef Kenny Kong and Chef Eric Tan of Sessions Cooking Studio.
- 1 mango
- 5 tomato slices
- 1 piece of white bread
- 1 Japanese cucumber
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 5 cheese slices
- Slice the mango and use a small ring cutter to cut out 5 mango circles.
- Use the ring cutter to cut out 10 bread circles.
- Use the ring cutter to cut out 5 cheese circles.
- Make small circle sandwiches, arranging each one in this order — bread, mango, cheese, tomato, bread. Secure each stack with a toothpick. You should have a total of five stacks.
- Cut the cucumber into two matchsticks, each about 3cm.
- Use a straw to cut a small oval (1cm) for the mouth and 2 round cylinder shapes (0.5cm) for the eyes from the cucumber (for the eyes, trim 2 sides of the cylindrically shaped cucumber to create a sharp edge).
- Use seaweed puncher to create the eyeballs.
- Make a small cut on the cherry tomato where the eyes and mouth are supposed to be and decorate with the cucumbers and seaweed pieces into a ‘face’.
- Place the sandwiches side by side to form the body.
- Place the cucumbers on each side of the sandwiches to create the legs and place the cherry tomato ‘face’ at the end to complete your caterpillar.