Beef is a great source of iron for little ones, and one easy way to introduce it to little ones is to add it in healthy homemade sauces that do not contain any salt, sugar and preservatives. Jayina Chan, founder of Anya Meals, shares an easy and quick recipe you can make for your bub.
Suitable for babies and children 9 months and above.
•1 kg ground beef
•120 ml homemade unsalted beef stock
•2 shallots (minced)
•1 clove garlic (minced)
•1/2tin unsalted plum/diced tomatoes
•2tbsp Tomato paste
•1/2tbsp dried Thyme
•1/2tsp Ground nutmeg
•Handful of chopped mushrooms
•Olive oil, for cooking
•Black pepper and parmesan cheese, for garnish and taste
1. In a pot, sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil over medium heat till fragrant
2. Add in mushrooms and sauté till it is little golden on the outside.
3. Add beef into the pot, break it up with the back of your spatula and continue to stir well till it is well broken up and not pink.
4. Add in plum/diced tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and beef stock and bring to a boil
5. Switch to simmer for another 15 minutes and add a touch of water or beef stock if it gets too dry for your liking.
6. Serve over your choice of organic baby pasta with a crackle of black pepper and Parmesan cheese.
Tip: Make a bigger batch and freeze the extras for future meals! Each set of beef sauce keeps up to 3 months in the freezer and 24 hours in the fridge.
Jayina Chan is the founder of Anya Meals, which offers healthy, halal homemade baby meals that are made only from fresh and organic ingredients. Click here to find out more about Anya Meals.