This healthy yet hearty recipe created by Chef Chan Kung Lai of Yàn at National Gallery Singapore is gluten-free, nut-free and dairy free. It features chia seeds that are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and protein.
Fragrant Rice Soup With Crab Meat and Chia Seeds
- 1.5 litres fresh water
- 250g oil
- 5g salt
- 300g learn pork meat
- 200g prawns
- 500g crab meat
- 1 tblspn chia seeds
- 500g rice
- 100g yam
- 1 stalk coriander
- 1 stalk spring onion
- ½ tspn minced genger
- ½ tspn chia seeds (garnish)
- To make the stock, bring the water to a boil and add the pork and prawns. Bring this to a boil on high heat. Once at a boil, turn the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Clean the crab and allow it to steam on high heat for 20 minutes. After cooked, allow it to cool and remove the meat.
- Soak the chia seeds in water before use.
- Peel the yam and julienne it into thin strips. Rinse the yam and squeeze out all the water, then deep fry the yam strips till golden brown and crispy.
- Rinse and finely chop the coriander and spring onion.
- In a hot wok, add a little oil and fry the minced ginger till fragrant. Add the stock and rice and bring to a boil.
- When the rice is soft, add the crab and chia seeds and cook for 2 mins. Then add the chopped coriander, spring onion and salt to taste.
- To serve, spoon the fragrant rice soup into a bowl and garnish with the crispy yam strips and chia seeds.
This recipe was created using chia seeds from Superior Chia that only selects non-genetically-modified chia seeds from organic sources and is a specially formulated mixture of the best chia seeds that have been carefully selected and milled using a special microslicing technique. The seeds are gluten-free, trans-fat free and sugar-free. They can be purchased in small, handy packets at S$18 per bag from here.