Need to prepare a treat that is egg-free for the minis? Use this egg-free pretzel dough recipe from head baker and co-founder of Artisan Boulangerie Co, Chef Eran Mayer. This versatile dough can be used to make rolls and bagels too.
Egg-Free Pretzel Dough
Makes approximately 14 portions, serves seven to ten
- 900g all-purpose flour
- 20g salt
- 50g sugar
- 24g fresh yeast or 8g dried yeast
- 400g warm water
- 80g vegetable oil (neutral)
- Mix the yeast with the water inside a mixer bowl and cover with a tea towel for ten minutes.
- Sift flour and add all the ingredients.
- Knead on low speed for three to five minutes, then increase to medium speed for another two to three minutes.
- Cover the dough with a towel and place it in a warm place for 30 to 45 minutes until it doubles in volume.
- Divide the dough into individual portions and shape to your liking.
- Heat a large pot of water until it boils then add one teaspoon of baking soda.
- Dip each pretzel into the water till it rises.
- Place on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and add toppings as desired (suggestions include linseeds, sesame, pumpkin seeds, grated cheese, or simply kosher salt).
- Bake on a medium hot temperature (between 200 to 220 degrees celcius) for 15 to 20 minutes for a nice golden brown colour.
Do note that the portions may be kept in the freezer for seven to ten days in Ziplock bags.
Have fun baking!
All breads sold at Artisan Boulangerie Co, apart from the Challah bread, are egg-free, perfect for vegans and those with allergies.
Click here for more delicious recipes.