Manage childhood diabetes painlessly

Manage your child’s diabetes in a better way by using non-invasive methods to check their glucose level. (Photo by Rawpixel from Freepik)
Caring for a diabetic child is challenging but new flash glucose monitoring devices aim to make this easier. By CRYSTAL CHAN
One in nine adults lives with diabetes in Singapore. (Photo by Rawpixel from Pexels)
Diabetes in Singapore

Diabetes affects one in nine adults, or 11 per cent of Singapore’s residents. Out of this percentage, a large number are Indians, followed by Malays and then Chinese. 

Globally, Type 1 diabetes accounts for 10% of diabetic patients. Type 1 diabetes, which can affect anyone at any age, occurs when the body’s immune system destroys insulin-producing cells (islets). On the other hand, the remaining 90% of patients are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. In these cases, it might have stemmed from a family history of diabetes, genetics or poor lifestyle choices. 

Children with diabetes

President of Diabetes Singapore, Dr Kevin Tan points out that most diagnosed children under six years old are Type 1. A diabetic child has to manage glucose levels well to prevent complications like damaged blood vessels, blindness or kidney failure. 

Posts Ad Mummyfique App
Freestyle Libre sensor reads glucose levels from the body’s interstitial fluid and transmits the data onto a mobile app.
Flash glucose monitoring systems

Traditionally, the child has to prick their fingertips to get a drop of blood to measure their blood glucose levels. This can be rather unpleasant. So, an alternative is to use flash glucose monitoring systems such as Abbott’s Freestyle Libre system. 

First, attach the 35mm sensor to the back of your child’s arm, where a small flexible tip will be inserted just under the skin. Next, let the sensor warm up for an hour. After which, it will start to monitor glucose levels through your child’s interstitial fluid (ISF). ISF is a thin layer of fluid surrounding tissue cells. Children as young as four years can use this sensor under the careful supervision of their caregivers. At the end of two weeks, replace the sensor with a new one from selected retail pharmacies at hospitals for $92. Alternatively, buy it online here.

Note: You will still need regular blood glucose meters. Have them on standby for times where blood glucose levels changes rapidly (after meals or during exercise) or when your child’s symptoms do not match the app’s readings.

Advertisement
FreeStyle LibreLink app allows a more convenient way of reading glucose level results wherever you go.
Remote tracking and monitoring

Once the glucose levels are scanned, the FreeStyle LibreLink smartphone app will record the data. Then, you will be able to track your child’s results in your phone or remotely through the companion app, LibreLinkup. Share these readings with your child’s doctor during consultation too by connecting the device to the computer.  

Get your child involved in a sporting activity, which will help him manage his weight.
Get your child involved in sporting activities to help them maintain a healthy weight and control diabetes' symptoms (Photo by jcomp).
Lifestyle changes needed

Other than prescribed oral medication and insulin injections, Dr Tan encourages diabetic patients to undergo lifestyle changes. Control your child’s condition by helping him or her maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly and practise a healthy diet (limiting carbohydrates, salt and fat).

Don’t forget to schedule regular health checks too. Diabetic eye screenings, urine tests and blood tests that measure cholesterol, kidney and liver functions aid in detecting potential complications.

Relevant Reads: What You Need to Know About Diabetes in Children

Tags from the story
Written By
More from Crystal Chan

Dads We Respect: Koh Seng Choon

This Father’s Day, we honour fathers who aim to improve the lives...
Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *